A cushion cut diamond is a square or rectangular-shaped diamond that combines the faceted design of the old mine with the outline of a contemporary round brilliant cut. Due to its squared-off edges, which resemble those of a cushion, cushion-cut diamonds are also known as pillow cuts.
Characteristics of a Cushion Cut Diamond
- A cushion-cut diamond can be square or rectangular in shape.
- Cushion cuts have a lot of fire and sparkle.
- A cushion-cut diamond has broad facets and rounded edges.
- Cushion cuts have a vintage and antique look.
The History of Cushion Cut Diamonds
The existence of the cushion-cut diamond can be traced back to the 1700s. Its first century saw it go by the name "old mine cut." Old mine cuts were the precursors to modern cushion cuts. The main distinction between the two is that the old mine cut has 58 facets, whereas the contemporary cushion cut has 64 facets.
The Pros of a Cushion Cut Diamond
- The cushion cut combines traditional and contemporary styles.
- Cushion-cut diamonds have a unique shape
- Due to their rounded edges, cushion cuts are highly durable.
- A cushion-cut diamond has a high level of brightness and fire.
Things To Watch Out for When Buying a Cushion Cut Diamond
Here's what to look out for when choosing a cushion cut diamond:
Make sure the cushion-cut diamond you choose is beautifully cut. For cushion-cut diamonds, the following specifications are recommended:
- A depth range of between 61 to 68 percent.
- A table of between 60 and 65 percent.
Cushion-cut diamonds have a stronger ability to retain their color; thus, their polish must be flawless. A cushion cut diamond with a color grade of H, or higher is the ideal choice.
People prefer larger diamonds when purchasing engagement rings, which drives up price points for diamonds with higher carat weights.
The number of inclusions in a stone increases with its size. Always inspect the diamond visually, and opt for an eye-clean stone with a VS2 to SI1 clarity grading.
Where To Buy a Cushion Cut Diamond
Are you looking to expand your jewelry collection with a cushion cut? Buy from a trusted merchant. The Diamond Factory is a trustworthy vendor of the finest cushion-cut diamond jewelry. Visit our website today to explore our cushion-cut diamond collection and place your order.
If you have any inquiries regarding cushion-cut diamonds, contact us right away.