Another characteristic to consider when investing in a Diamond is Diamond clarity. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) defines Diamond clarity as the absence of any internal or external flaws in or on the Diamond.
While there is really no such thing as completely flawless Diamond, some have more flaws than others- and some have more visible flaws than others. To determine how flawed a Diamond is, GIA developed the clarity scale, which is comprised of 11 grades. They are:
- Flawless (FL) – No visible inclusions at 10-times magnification
- Internally Flawless (IF) – Flaws only visible at 10-times magnification
- Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2) – Inclusions present but difficult to see under 10-times magnification
- Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2) – Minor inclusions which are either difficult to somewhat easy to see at 10-times magnification
- Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2) – Flaws are easily noticeable at 10-times magnification
- Included (I1, I2, and I3) – Inclusions are easily spotted under 10-times magnification and may visibly affect the diamond’s clarity without magnification.
Diamonds that fall in the IF, VVS and VS command higher value than those with I and SI ratings. These grades, in conjunction with carat, color and cut determine the value of each individual diamond. To learn more about the 4C's or to create your own custom diamond jewelry, visit Diamond Factory Dallas
Loose Diamonds For Sale
Inquiry for Loose Diamonds
Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you with a quote as soon as possible. Need help? Speak with a Diamond Jewelry Experts at 972-980-8700.